Tennis will be back in action in Germany amid coronavirus pandemic

Tennis

Tennis lovers anxiously awaiting their next fix won’t have to wait very long, with the first tournament in the coronavirus era set to begin in the coronavirus era set to be in Germany on Friday.

Last week, German Chancellor Angela Merkel announced a new set of steps the country would follow as it begins easing lockdown restriction.

The man behind the tournament is Rodney Rapson. He is the managing director of Europe and the UK for PlaySight.

Rapson is friends with tennis Point’s star name, former world No. 64 Dustin Brown, and the pair– along with PlaySight’s partner Sports radar–Have been in conversation since the ATP and WTA tours work postponed last month.

“It happened really fast and we didn’t think it was gonna happen if we’re honest,” Rapson told CNN Sport.

“ We were the first ones to come back to the sport in general in Europe. But that’s a problem probably because the majority of people were just waiting for the government to relax the rules. Whereas we were planning the whole time and were just waiting for the announcement of the rules to be relaxed.” 

Despite tennis already being given the green light to return, Rapson says the organizers have been meticulous in their preparation to ensure the health and safety of the players.

Tennis Tournament

The tournament will be held without fans. The players will enter and exit through different doors and sit opposite each other so they never cross at the n

“It’s been a costly undertaking to get the venue ready under the Coronavirus guidelines,” he says.

“The government has set the guidelines and tennis is a sport that can be played under social distance rules.

“From the start, we were thinking about what needs to be done for health and safety regulations. A lot of it was guesswork as well but we just went a little bit over-cautious. We’re better being over cautions then getting the event turn away but right now the feedback has been good.”

Organizers wrote to the  ATP and WTA  to explain why they were staging the event. Though they didn’t need approval from either for it the go-ahead–and both governing bodies gave the tournament their blessing.
The event has also complied with all regulations set out by the Tennis Integrity Unit.

1 Comment

  1. I all the time used to study piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of internet thus from
    now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

  1. No Italian Football restart insight. | The Sports Supporter
  2. Rafael Nadal thinks that there is no tennis in 2020 - The Sports Supporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*